Patrick B. Hughes
- The Wichita State University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1988
- Washburn University, J.D., magna cum laude, 1994
- Kansas Real Estate Practice and Procedure Handbook (chapter co-author on Mechanics' Liens) by Kansas Bar Association
- Know Your Fiduciary Duties
- Proposing or Fighting a Controversial Land Use
- What Can’t They Do? Limitations on the Power of Local Zoning Authorities
- Kansas Appellate Advocacy: An Inside View of Common-Sense Strategy
- Damage Control in Commercial Lease Defaults
Patrick began his legal career as a research attorney/law clerk for the Kansas Court of Appeals, the Kansas Supreme Court, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit. Since joining Adams Jones in 1997 he has continued appellate work, in both state and federal court, and practices in the areas of litigation and dispute avoidance. His practice principally consists of disputes involving real estate, businesses, governmental entities, estates and trusts, and financial institutions, and disputes involving land title, landlords and tenants, liens, inverse condemnation, co-tenants, right-of-way and municipal law.
Pat’s real estate related experience includes zoning and subdivision matters, land title disputes and title insurance, water rights, and construction claims. In the business area, in addition to representing clients in business disputes and contract negotiations, he provides legal services related to administrative licensing proceedings and intellectual property - advising and representing clients in matters concerning trade secrets, copyrights, trademarks, and patents. In the area of estates his experience includes will contests, claims against estates, and advising and representing trustees.
- Represented title insurance company in defending coverage dispute covering mechanic’s liens from failed retail development project.
- Represented business in litigation to recover embezzled funds from former employees.
- Represented non-profit interest groups in briefing for Kansas Supreme Court on first impression issues regarding the nature of “wind rights.”
- Assisted business in obtaining zoning approval for property uses not otherwise allowed.
- Defended bank in challenge to retail banking practice.
Representative Client Industries
- Real Estate
- Title Insurance
- Wichita Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Adjunct Professor, Property Law, Friends University
- Adjunct Professor, Intellectual Property Law, Presidents College School of Law
- Kansas Land Use Law (Half Moon)
- Siting Controversial Land Uses (Lorman)
- Appellate Practice (Kansas and Wichita Bar Associations)