Email Monte LinkedIn
- Newman University, B.A., History, 1978
- University of Kansas, J.D. ,1981
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy, 1986
- Ten Keys to Resolving Your Dispute—Without Making a Judge or Jury Do it For You
- Anatomy of a Lawsuit
- Litigation—Two Paradigms
- In a Legal Dispute, What is Your Goal?
- Legal Malpractice in Kansas: Principles and Examples, Journal of the Kansas Bar Association
- A Problem-Solving Approach to Legal Disputes, Journal of the Kansas Bar Association
Monte has focused his law practice on the resolution of disputes. These disputes are often in the context of court litigation. But disputes can often be resolved without the need for lawsuits and trials, by analysis of the problem and negotiation with the other parties involved to reach beneficial settlements. His practice primarily involves disputes over commercial transactions, business entities, real estate, estates and trusts. He has also worked with clients to resolve a wide variety of other civil disputes.
Examples of disputes he has handled involving commercial transactions, business entities and real estate include: breach of contract, ownership disputes, lender liability, foreclosure on commercial properties, enforcement of security instruments, and business torts, such as fraud and misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duty, interference with contract, and fraudulent transfers of assets.
Estate and trust dispute examples include: will contest issues, undue influence, fiduciary fee disputes, claims of executor, trustee wrongdoing and elder abuse.
Monte also has substantial experience in defending legal professional liability claims and assisting lawyers in responding to legal ethics complaints.
Aside from resolving legal disputes, Monte enjoys photography and travel, two hobbies that go well together. Several of his photos are used on this website. Monte also enjoys attending and supporting musical theatre. Two of his favorite shows are Les Misérables and Ragtime—stories with powerful insights into the relationship of justice and forgiveness.
- Defend manufacturer on dispute over termination of supply contract.
- Pursue collection of disputed accounts for international trade finance company.
- Defend building supplies trader on claims of fraud and misrepresentation.
- Defend fraud and employment law claims arising from termination and stock buy-out.
- Represent lender on borrower’s Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- Defend co-owners of business against claims of breach of contract and misappropriation by other owners.
- Pursue claim for loss from mechanical breakdown under commercial insurance policy.
- Defend real estate developers on claim for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Foreclose on commercial real estate securing loans with complex history.
- Defend shopping center owners against foreclosure.
- Defend real estate broker and agent on claims of fraud and negligence in handling sale of real estate.
- Pursue enforcement of first option to purchase leased commercial real estate.
- Cure real estate title defects preventing foreclosure.
- Defend priority of commercial mortgage against contractors’ mechanics liens.
- Defend trustees on claim of improprieties in handling family trust.
- Defend trustee on claim of elder abuse.
- Assist attorneys in responding to legal ethics complaints.
Representative Client Industries
- General Business
- Real Estate
- Title Insurance
- Wichita Bar Association (President 2021-2022)
- Wesley E. Brown Inn of Court (Master)
- Kansas Bar Association (Litigation Section)
- Wichita Downtown Rotary (past Vice President)
- Music Theatre Wichita Board (past President)
- Leadership Kansas and Leadership Wichita participant (past Director)
- Chapel Hill Methodist Church
- Wichita Christian Legal Society—Legal Aid Clinic